National Week of Action on School Pushout
Every year members of the Dignity in Schools Campaign (DSC) hold a nationwide week of action on school discipline and education justice. The theme this year is Education is a Human Right! We Will Not Give Up the Fight! DSC members and allies will hold local events across the country, and participate in our two-day National Week of Action Event in New Orleans on October 23-24.
DSC members and allies call on the federal government, states, districts, and schools to:
- Shift funding from school police to counselors, peace builders, and positive discipline.
- Fund and use transformative and restorative justice, mediation, and positive interventions.
- Stop arresting and pushing out students of color, LGBTQ youth, students that are homeless, and students with disabilities at higher rates. *Black students are pushed out at the highest rates nationally.)
- Make sure states and districts focus on school climate under the new federal law -- the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- End paddling and physical punishment in all schools.
- Invest in public education, not privatization and charter schools.